NEW BJSM – CONSIDER PSYCHOLOGICAL FACTORS WHEN TREATING PFP.
CONSIDER PSYCHOLOGICAL FACTORS WHEN TREATING PFP.
by Prof Bill Vicenzino and Liam McLachlan
From the University of Queensland, Australia, physiotherapist and PhD candidate Liam McLachlan and Professor of Sports Physiotherapy Bill Vicenzino share clinical pearls relating to the patient with patellofemoral pain.
Dr Erin Macri, physiotherapist and BJSM editorial board member doing her postdoctoral studies at the University of Delaware leads the conversation.
• Why is it important to consider psychological factors in patellofemoral pain?
• Which instruments should I use in the clinic (clue, google “Startback tool”)
• Which comes first, the psychological distress or the pain?
• Can explanation and reassurance contribute to reducing pain and improving function?
• Bottom line – time to rethink from the narrow mechanical (only) perspective.
Here are some key links:
*Systematic review: The psychological features of patellofemoral pain: a systematic review. First author: Liam Maclachlan. bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/9/732 FREE
*Be sure to check the 3 BJSM Patellofemoral consensus statements (all free):
1. 2016 Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Manchester. Part 1: Terminology, definitions, clinical examination, natural history, patellofemoral osteoarthritis and patient-reported outcome measures. bjsm.bmj.com/content/50/14/839
2. 2016 Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Manchester. Part 2: recommended physical interventions (exercise, taping, bracing, foot orthoses and combined interventions) bjsm.bmj.com/content/50/14/844
3. Evidence-based framework for a pathomechanical model of patellofemoral pain: 2017 patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Manchester, UK: part 3. bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/24/1713.long
*The STarT Back Screening Tool (SBST): Home page. www.keele.ac.uk/sbst/startbacktool/