Sport and Exercise Medicine Physicians (SEM) are recognised Specialists in the practice of medicine as it applies to sports and physical activity. They are often involved in the advanced diagnosis and management of complicated musculoskeletal injuries; in particular where the diagnosis is unclear or requires medical intervention. They work closely with referring GP’s or allied health practitioners (physiotherapist, osteopath, sports trainer, masseur etc…), as well as a a wide range of Specialists including orthopaedic surgeons and rheumatologists to ensure optimal management and treatment outcomes for their patients.
Sport and Exercise Medicine Physicians treat a variety of problems or issues including:
- Diagnosis and non-surgical management of injuries related to exercise and physical activity
- Musculoskeletal screening & biomechanical analysis of sporting techniques
- Diagnosis & assessment of athletes following concussion injuries or head trauma
- Diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis or cardiac conditions
- Medical problems associated with sporting activity, such as asthma, over training syndrome and post-viral fatigue
As our SEM’s are qualified Specialists, a GP referral is required before your first appointment. In the event of an emergency (i.e. an acute injury) then an appointment can be made without a referral; please note that in this instance the Medicare rebate available for the appointment is reduced.